This July will mark the 80-year anniversary of the founding of our credit union and we are excited to celebrate what got us here: the opportunity to help each of you on your financial path.
Thank you for your support of our credit union, for your support of your communities, and for your support of each other.
Your membership makes a difference. Your role in your community makes a difference. Your role for your family and friends makes a difference.
Over 89,000 Members Strong
When our founding members met in the employee club room at the office of the Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company in July 1937, they probably didn’t imagine serving over 89,000 members throughout Oregon, Washington, and across the country as we do today.
They probably didn’t prepare a business plan to reach $1.0 Billion in assets, a milestone we reached this year. By all accounts, they were focused on something much simpler and more immediate: helping the people around them today.
Eighty years later, we reached this benchmark thanks to our deep-rooted commitment to find creative ways to help our members fulfill their financial goals.
A Record For Our Credit Union
Collectively we helped members fund more than $200 Million in new homes, a record for our credit union. Further, our resourceful members drove a 33% increase in business loans funded year over year, contributing to a big economic impact throughout the areas of Portland-Metro and SW Washington.
Despite expanded regulations in today’s booming housing market, last year almost a thousand Unitus members closed on new homes in an increasingly challenging market.
While we were thrilled at this record number, we recognized there was more work to be done after hearing stories from members who lost their chance to close on their dream home due to unreasonably long waits for an appraisal.
To alleviate this issue, we created a streamlined loan program that allows qualified members to “skip” the appraisal step in order to more quickly close on the home they love. In December 2016, we launched the No Appraisal Loan.
We opened a new branch last year in the heart of the North Williams district. We are also thrilled to have new branches scheduled to open in 2017 and 2018, enabling us to deliver face-to-face financial services to more members throughout more local communities.
A new branch isn’t the only thing we are excited about this year. Still to come in 2017, our members will see:
- Minutos de vida financiera, our brand new digital financial education tool to help our members make quick and lasting change.
- Support for Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and similar payment platforms for secure, convenient purchases.
- It will be much easier for members to apply for loans with a new, streamlined application system.
- There will be four more Be Happier Hour events through 2017 at all Unitus branches. They all feature fun themes, free snacks and giveaways so keep an eye on our Events page to stay in-the-know!
- Our Dream Come True program will continue after debuting last year, partnering with the Oregon State University Beavers to give ailing children an experience they and their families will never forget.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge our outgoing Board members from 2016 and thank you for your service.
- Jim Lewis
- Scott Thompson
Please help me welcome our new Board members:
- Somnath Banerjee
- Rhonda Cramer
- Matthew Micetic
For more information:
Don’t forget to reach out to us, we always love to hear from you.